MCDA 39th Annual Conservation Conference
Watch here for exciting details of the 2014 MCDA Conference – Dec. 1,2 and 3
Water Management in Action – The Rural-Urban Connection
- Registration Registration Info Pack 2014 (PDF)
- Tradeshow / Exhibitors Registration Info Pack 2014 (PDF)
- Full Agenda Below or download it here (PDF)
Banquet only ticket(s)
Kerry Freek is co-author of Flood Forecast: Climate Risk and Resiliency in Canada (Rocky Mountain Books). She currently supports Ontario’s water technology sector as WaterTAP’s manager of marketing and communications. Prior to joining WaterTAP, Kerry covered local, national and global water management issues as the founding editor of Water Canada magazine. She has written about water challenges for several fine Canadian publications, such as Corporate Knights and Alberta Views, and continues to cover the issues on a freelance basis.
Aron Hershmiller – Grew up on a mixed farm operation in the Waldron area, 40 km south of Yorkton, SK. Aron, orbital and fitter welded at Babcock & Wilcox (boiler makers) in Melville, SK and farmed with his brother and parents for six years before receiving a SIAST diploma in Integrated Resource Management from the Woodland Campus in Prince Albert, SK. While attending SIAST, Aron was awarded with the Great Plains Fishery Workers’ scholarship and the Saskatchewan Environment & Resource Management Employees scholarship. Aron also gained valuable work experience from Ducks Unlimited Canada for his summer work term and graduated from the program with distinction in April of 2007.
Aron’s agricultural background, familiarity with the Assiniboine River Watershed and technical training he received at SIAST made him the ideal choice as the Assiniboine Watershed Stewardship Association’s inaugural Manager.
Aron has grown the AWSA’s municipal membership from 24 to 37 members since 2007. He has also expanded the staff from 1 to 3 full time employees who have implemented over $11.5 million dollars in local projects; a huge accomplishment for a small non-profit organization. Aron, his staff and the AWSA were the recent recipients of the 2014 Council of the Federation, Excellence in Water Stewardship Award – Saskatchewan.
Aron enjoys the outdoors, which includes hunting, fishing, quadding and snowmobiling. He also participates in many sports which include; curling and fastball. He has twice participated at the provincial curling level and has won gold and two silver medals at the Western Canadian Fastball Championships.
Aron, along with his wife Amber and their daughters Peyton and Rylee reside in Yorkton, SK.
- Mark Lowdon: Fisheries Biologist, AAE Tech Services Inc.
- Ryan Canart: Manager Upper Assiniboine River Conservation District
& Colleen Cuvelier, Manager Little Saskatchewan River Conservation District
- Michael Buchholzer, Director of Environmental Services, City of Yorkton &
Gord Shaw Head Engineer for City of Yorkton
- Armand Belanger, Manager East Interlake Conservation District
- Dave Hillary, Program Manager at Kootenay Conservation Program
2014 Conference – Detailed Agenda
Water Management In Action – The Urban-Rural Connection
Monday, December 1
- 10:00 am – 1:00 pm: Trade show set up & Trade show registration Manitoba Room
- 1:30pm: Registration and Trade Opens Manitoba Room
- 1:30pm – 3:45pm: Youth Environmental Education Event UCT Pavilion – Assiniboine Community College and Brandon University students
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: MCDA Member AGM – New time and date this year UCT Pavilion – Sign in list (Conservation District Members Only)
- 7:00pm – 10:00pm: Breakin the Ice Networkin – “Just 4 Kicks” band UCT Pavilion – EVERYONE WELCOME!!!! (Bar & Snacks)
- 9:45 – 11:15pm – 3rd Annual Watershed Hockey Game
Tuesday, December 2
- 8:30 am Registration and Trade show opens Manitoba Room
- 9:00 am Conference opens – Host Chris Sumner UCT Pavilion
- Singing of O’Canada
- Welcoming remarks – Heather Dalgleish, Chair, Manitoba Conservation Districts Association
- His Worship Rick Chrest, Mayor of the City of Brandon KEYNOTE ADDRESSES:
- 9:15 am Ryan Canart (Manager UARCD) & Colleen Cuvelier (Manager LSRCD) – A Conservation Project in Manitoba 10:00 am Aron Hershmiller, Manager of The Assiniboine Watershed Stewardship Association 10:40 am Networking Break
- 11:10 am Michael Bucholzer, Dir. of Environmental Services & Gord Shaw, Head Engineer – City of Yorkton
- 12:00 pm LUNCH
- 1:00 pm David Hillary – Kootenay Conservation Program
- 1:40 pm Assiniboine River Basin Initiative Update – PIN Representative2:00 pm Mark Lowdon – Fisheries Biologist for AAE Tech Services.
- 2:40 pm Networking Break
- 3:10 pm Kerry Freek – Manager of Marketing and Communications for WaterTAP Ontario
- 4:30 to 5:30 pm CD Award Recipients VIP Reception CKLQ Hall
- 5:45 pm Doors open for banquet, ticket taking for banquet UCT Pavilion
- 6:30 pm Banquet event begins
- Tradeshow exhibitors are able to take down after 5:30pm and have until 10:30pm to complete takedown.
Wednesday, December 3 – Conservation District Program Members Only
- 8:30 am Ministerial Forum – UCT
- Honorable Gord Mackintosh
- Minister of Conservation & Water Stewardship
- 9:30 am Update on LWBSF projects – April North and Shane Robins UCT
- 10:00 am Update on CD Act
- 11:00 am Close
Lunch will not be served